Why Drinking Gin Is Actually Good For Your Health
Are you someone who loves sipping on a highball of gin? If yes, then there is some excellent news for you:
Drinking gin is actually good for your health.
Whether you prefer a robust Genever or the classic dry gin, that glass of gin and tonic does more for your body than you think. And for those of you thinking that gin is nothing more than juniper-flavored vodka, this article might convert you.
Gin is a low-carb alcoholic drink mixed with the healing powers of herbs and juniper berries. Hence, it acts as a remedy for the body and unlocks a plethora of health benefits.
Read on to find out all about gin and why it is good for your body.
What is gin?
Like vodka, the base of gin is also made of grains like wheat and barley. However, it is later steeped with herbs, roots, and juniper berries and then re-distilled. These botanicals are what make gin so unique.
Gin’s popularity in Australia has grown massively.
With bottles of it stacking the top shelves in classy bars, it is being consumed in various new ways. While there is nothing with a neat gin, most people go for flavours like:
- Bloody Shiraz
- Vegemite and buttered toast
- Desert Lime
The health benefits of gin
The various health benefits of gin include:
1. It flushes out toxins.
Gin behaves as a diuretic. What does that mean?
It means that gin helps in:
- Getting rid of extra salts in your body
- Promotes urine production
- Flushes out toxins from your body
The juniper berries lend gin this medicinal property. So, if you ever get a urinary tract infection, gin can help flush out the bacteria (along with proper medicine, of course).
2. It promotes weight loss.
Gin is low on carbohydrates. So, unlike other alcoholic drinks, it nourishes your body and promotes weight loss.
When making your gin cocktail, remember:
- One shot of gin has 97 calories
- Mixing it with tonic water gives you a low-calorie drink
- Try to avoid sugary elements to get the best benefits
Antioxidants in gin are known to boost metabolism, and hence, it helps you lose weight when consumed in small quantities. It also helps your skin glow.
3. It eases arthritis.
Historically, gin has had many medicinal uses. It is an integral part of many home remedies.
For those suffering from arthritis pains, this drink is a blessing:
- Its juniper berries attack inflammation and strengthen the connective tissues
- Golden raisins soaked in gin are known to reduce the inflammation in nine days and ease the pain
- Joint pains that are not related to arthritis can also be alleviated using gin
Using gin in small and moderated quantities can give you various benefits.
4. It helps your body fight illnesses.
The gin’s core ingredient makes it so powerful: juniper berries.
These are loaded with anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and antioxidant properties. Hence, it does wonders for your health and immunity.
It has proven helpful in:
- Fighting tropical diseases like malaria
- Strengthening your immunity and lowering your chances of falling sick
A shot of dry gin with tonic is a classic that boosts your skin and body health. The power of juniper berries is key to excellent benefits. However, be sure to drink it in moderated amounts.
It can still leave you hung over in the morning!