Fitness enthusiasts, bodybuilders, athletes and other such people just cannot stop talking about keto diets – but do you know what it is all about and why it is becoming increasingly popular among people of different professions and lifestyles? That is exactly what we are here to tell you. Also, we have prepared a list of nuts and seeds that go well with a keto diet.
What is a Keto Diet?
Before we dive in and are overwhelmed with information, let us first learn what a keto diet is. The Ketogenic Diet (popularly abbreviated as Keto Diet), is the diet that encourages cutting off carbohydrate intake completely and replacing that with fat. It is a low-carb diet that is somewhat drastic but yields results. It is quite similar to the Atkins diet as well.
Since this diet involves drastically and radically cutting off carbohydrate consumption, the body enters a metabolic state that is commonly referred to as ketosis.
This state is where the diet derives its name from and is aptly called Keto Diet. However, the peripheral definition of a keto diet is different for everyone. For example, some people like to add cashew to their keto diet for additional protein and fats. You can check the price and buy cashews online to have easy access to premium quality products.
Why opt for Keto Diet?
Quite frankly, Keto Diet is a little extreme and it is not uncommon for people to leave halfway or altogether abstain from it. But one thing that one can deny is after all that effort and hardship, the results are spectacular. If you want to know why you should opt for a Keto Diet, read on:
- Helps in loss of weight – It is mainly been made for people who are struggling with weight issues and want to cut down a considerable amount of weight, in a healthy fashion. The process is two-pronged: first, the ketogenic diet deprives the body of carbohydrates that drives it into a metabolic state, which in turn, acts as a catalyst in the entire weight loss process. Secondly, the diet reduces the appetite which keeps hunger pangs at bay and you from binging on unhealthy snacks which ultimately nullifies the diet (this is happening more often than one can imagine).
- Reduces and prevents acne – When it comes to skin irritations, rashes and other such anomalies, acne takes the leading spot. It is perhaps the most frustrating and irritating skin irregularity that one can get. While there are several methods to get rid of acne (long-drawn and shortcuts), the proper way to get rid of acne for a long time is through a keto diet. A decreased intake of carbohydrates leads to lesser blood sugar level irregularities which lead to decreased occurrence of acne.
- Improves Heart Health – The first thing that people need to understand is that there are two different kinds of fats: one is called essential fats (which is healthy) and the other one is unhealthy fat (which is what we try to get rid of). Now going on a keto diet, removes carbohydrates and harmful fat from our, body, channelling healthy fats, that in turn, works to keep our heart healthy.
- Reduces risk of certain types of cancers – A study has shown that keto diets can be consumed by people who are undergoing chemotherapy or even radiation therapy and that it aids in combating cancer cells. Going on a keto diet causes more oxidative stress in the cancer cells of the body than the normal body cells, thereby killing them.
- Reduces the frequency of seizures – Extensive studying and research showed us that a keto diet can support those who have epileptic seizures. It can reduce the frequency of the same by a significant degree. Further studies showed that being on a keto diet can reduce epilepsy symptoms in you.
Read Also: How to Avoid Deficiencies on a Vegan Diet
Which Nuts and Seeds should be included in your Keto Diet?
Let us look at some of the nuts and seeds that you can include in your keto diet for an enhanced dieting experience:
- Pecans – These are tree nuts that go extremely well with a Keto Diet. An ounce of it contains 3 gm of fibre, 20 gm of fat, 4 gm of total carbs, 196 calories and 3 gm of protein. Since this is a high-fat tree nut, including it in your diet can dial down the insulin levels.
- Chia Seeds – One kind of fat that our body needs are Omega-3 and Chia seeds is a really rich source of the same. It is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids and fibre that improve gut health and have really strong anti-inflammatory properties. 60% of their fat content constitutes Omega-3 fats. Also, they are plant-based sources of essential fats which make them a great addition to your keto diet.
- Brazil Nuts – This is another kind of tree nut that is a great source of selenium (selenium is a trace mineral that is essential for bodily functions). It is rich in fat, fibre, carbs and protein. Studies show that people who are on a keto diet might suffer from selenium deficiency and adding Brazil Nuts to your Keto Diet can help bridge the nutritional gap.
- Flax Seeds – Flax seeds can be added to your keto diet for added flavour and additional health benefits. Flax Seeds increase heart health and also regulates blood pressure. Flax seeds are also rich sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, fibre and protein.
- Walnuts – Everyone knows that walnuts are delightful to taste and adding them to your keto diet will only make it more nutritional. Walnuts help reduce bad cholesterol and helps regulate blood pressure. It is a really rich source of good fat, fibre and protein. You can check the walnut price online and buy them from wholesale at discounted prices for future consumption.
- Hemp Seeds – Not a lot of people know about hemp seeds and their various benefits. Hemp seeds, also commonly known as hemp hearts, are rich sources of plant-based protein that also packs a lot of healthy fats. It is the seed of the Cannabis sativa plant. Hemp seed is a great source of linoleic acid that prevents Alzheimer’s disease. It can be incorporated in several Keto Diets in various ways to make it tastier and more flavourful.
A Keto Diet is one of the most effective weight-loss diet programmes that exist today. However, like with every other diet, there are essential minerals and nutrients that our body misses out on. Adding the aforementioned nuts and seeds to your keto diet can help fulfil most of that nutrient deficiency.