In this technological era, digital files are more preferred over papers physically bound in a folder. PDFs are known to be an easily accessible and distributable file format but what happens when the PDF file is not meant to be printed or has limitations to how it is shared?
This is where watermarks come in. With watermarks, not anyone can claim and use any online property. It gives you a right over your documents and helps you identify the people who steal them. This article discusses the uses of watermarks and four tips on how you can add watermark to PDF online.
Uses of Watermarks
Watermarks are usually placed on important documents or documents that have certain limitations about how they should be handled, shared, printed, and so on. Although there are times that watermarks may seem like a nuisance to users, watermarks are a pretty important aspect for documents that are not meant to be publicly shared or exposed freely.
These are commonly seen in postage stamps, money, and other government documents. They can be distinguished based on the lightness or darkness that it produces when viewed by transmitted light, on its thickness or the density variation which means that some can be visibly seen by the naked eye and others need special inspection equipment.
One of the reasons why people use watermarks is to protect any document from unauthorized usage or downloads. It provides instructions on specific types of files and how they should be handled. For example, the most common watermark that we see is the “Confidential” watermark.
Watermarks are also used for entertainment or creativity purposes such as adding graphic captions, creating memes, tagging friends, and others of the like. Down below, we’ve listed tips on the tools you need to add or create watermarks and how to add watermarks to your documents.
Adding Watermark Using Microsoft Word
Using Microsoft Word for watermarks is simple and accessible. It’s a handy tool for anyone with Microsoft Office because it doesn’t require any external application. It’s a tried and tested method that does its job effectively.
- Prepare the document you want to add a watermark to.
- Click on the page layout option in the menu bar.
- Select “page background” among the sub panels that appear.
- Click on the “watermark” option.
- Select your desired pattern for the watermark or you can choose to create one that is customized.
The watermark options include an “Image watermark”- as the name suggests, it uses an image to overlay on the document to act as a watermark, and “Text watermark”- which uses the text of various fonts, languages, and sizes of your choosing to overlay onto the document. Once you have chosen what type of watermark to place, just click “Apply” and the chosen watermark will now appear on your document.
Adding Watermark Using Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat is the prime standard for PDF viewing and editing. Many people prefer Adobe Acrobat for its smooth and simple interface. Here’s how to add watermarks using Adobe Acrobat.
- Go to the “Tools” Tab and Select “Watermarks”, then “Add”.
- Specify what watermark you want to use by selecting “Text” For text-based watermarks, and “File” For image-based watermarks.
- Adjust the size and appearance of the watermark by entering a percent value in the dialog box.
- You can specify when the watermark appears either when printing or when displayed on the screen.
- Save your document.
Adobe Acrobat also offers additional watermark services such as replacing watermarks, removing watermarks, and adding watermarks on multiple documents at once.
Adding Watermark Using Online Tools
Besides the applications mentioned above that will help you add watermarks to PDF files, there are online tools that you don’t have to download for on-the-go editing. Using gogopdf.com, not only do you skip the download and installation process for the application but with just a stable internet connection, you can easily insert a watermark on your PDF file online for free.
One of the advantages of using this website instead of the other applications is its accessibility in all operating systems and platforms. Unlike the applications mentioned above, there is a limitation depending on the operating system used. Aside from that, you get to cut all other steps from the process and just follow three easy and simple steps to insert a watermark.
- Choose the file that you’d like to add a watermark on by selecting it on your computer or using the drag and drop feature to upload the file to the specified area on the site.
- Type the watermark text that you need or if you have a saved image, then you may upload it and position the watermark on the PDF file and click “Add Watermark”.
- After the process has been completed, you have the option to either email the watermarked PDF, download it to your device, or share it through your social media accounts.
How do I add Watermark to a PDF for free?
Free methods of adding watermarks to PDFs range from the downloadable applications mentioned above to online services such as gogopdf.com which have no installations and hidden purchases. If you want to easily add watermarks on-the-go and avoid any lengthy downloads or installations then go ahead and check out gogopdf.com!
It’s easy, quick, and convenient, and not to mention, accessible for everyone everywhere. With this tool, adding watermarks to files will be a piece of cake.