Using a humidifier too much is potentially harmful. Maintaining the humidity in your home at 30 to 50% is ideal. Levels beyond that range lead to the release of microorganisms into the air, as well as a breeding ground for viruses, bacteria, and dust mites. All of which can cause adverse respiratory reactions for you and your family.
Be mindful of the humidity level in your home. Your humidifier should be beneficial, not cause harm. Keep reading to discover safety tips for using the humidifier in your home correctly.
Signs of Too Much Humidity
There are clear signs when you’re using a humidifier too much. Condensation develops on the inside of your windows when humidity levels are too high. You’ll also notice water droplets on the walls.
Homes start to smell musty when too much water is in the air. This is especially noticeable in rooms that are closed in.
Wallpaper and paint often develop bubbles or start peeling in severe cases of overuse. The moisture in the air gets behind the wall treatment causing the paper or paint to pull away from the wall.
Prolonged exposure may result in unsightly patches of mold on the walls, ceiling, or other surfaces.
What Health Risks Are Associated with Too Much Humidity?
Respiratory conditions are aggravated by microorganisms and bacteria growing in air with high humidity. Those with asthma, COPD, pneumonia, and other diseases can be negatively affected. Allergy sufferers may experience difficulty breathing also.
Don’t Neglect to Clean Your Humidifier
Unclean humidifiers compound the problems caused by overuse. A dirty humidifier emits toxins into the air of your home. Humidifiers build up bacteria, dust, minerals, and mold. Members of the household inhale these particles, causing illness, difficulty breathing, and other adverse reactions.
Monitor Humidity Levels in Your Home
It’s crucial to monitor the humidity inside your home. Humidity levels impact our air quality a lot. Keep your home’s humidity between 30 and 50%. Don’t allow levels to increase above 60%. Between 60 and 70%, viruses and harmful bacteria can thrive. You will put your family at serious risk for developing health issues by allowing the humidity levels in your home to rise too far.
What Should I Do If Signs Appear
If you notice any of the signs indicating too much humidity in your home, discontinue any use of your humidifier. Track down the source of musty smells to assess for mold and mildew growth. Should you find any, contact a professional to have a consultation.
Weather permitting, you may want to open some windows to allow surfaces to dry off. This can help your carpet dry out, as well.
Though they provide many benefits, it is possible to overuse humidifiers. Some respiratory conditions can be worsened by too much humidity in the air. Air-borne pathogens have a better chance at survival in overly humidified air. Keep the humidity in your home at optimum levels for the best air quality. If the humidity rises too much, turn your humidifier off.
- Top Solutions and Features You’ll Find in Infor M3 for Fashion and Retail Industries
- 3 Cannabis Products You Didn’t Know Existed
- 10 Tips to Boost Up Your Sale with Customized Lotion Boxes
- 8 Best Websites to Download HD Movies for Free Online